The food company at the center of a Hummus salmonella scare received a substantial fine less than a month ago, for food standard offences!
In February 2018, a consumer suffered a potentially fatal allergic reaction after eating an egg free dip which contained egg.
As a result of investigations. It was found that the company had failed to allow enough time for a 20 minute deep clean between making a product containing egg, and an egg free production.
Thus resulting in cross contamination.
For the most part. the importance of following controls and procedures and especially understanding the consequences of failure, can not be stressed enough!!
Evidently and rightly so, food standard offences will not be tolerated.
Don’t just create food safety systems. Implement, Follow and Most Importantly, Understand them!